Following news Monday that an NFL Fantasy Sports themed expo had been cancelled due to the league’s policy prohibiting players from holding events in casinos, event organizer Tony Romo took to the airwaves Tuesday morning to express his disgust.
“The players association had received a call [from the NFL] expressing the fining or the suspending of the players and we didn’t quite understand what the NFL was doing since they had yet to call us or call me, who was putting on the event, or my agency,” Romo said on ESPN Radio. “It reeked of maybe a scare tactic with the players and trying to get us this late in the game to have no players attend the event."
He added: “It’s like when you’re in high school and you don’t get invited to the party, it makes you feel bad. I think if [the NFL] really wanted to be a part of it, all they had to do was call and ask.”
A league spokesman said Saturday the NFL “reminded the players association” of the league's policy that bans appearances associated with casinos in regard to the NFFC event and denied that either players or their parents were called to “scare them”.
While the event was to be held at the Sands Expo, which does not have gambling on-site, it is located on the property of the Venetian Casino.
The event organizers say they will hold the event in LA next year.
- Jagajeet Chiba, Gambling911.com