3 Arrested Following Armed Robbery of Seminole Hard Rock Casino Tampa Patron

Submitted by Jagajeet Chiba on

Written by :

Jagajeet Chiba

Published on :

3 Arrested Following Armed Robbery of Seminole Hard Rock Casino Tampa Patron

TAMPA, Fla (Gambling911.com) - The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office announced the arrests of three individuals suspected in an armed robbery of an individual returning from the Seminole Hard Rock Casino in Tampa on July 23. 

The victim told deputies he had met one of the suspects, Angelina Johnson, 20, earlier that morning at the Seminole Hard Rock Casino. The casino is located about two miles away from where the victim was staying at the Extended Stay America in Tampa.

When he returned to his hotel, the victim found Johnson and two men, identified as Mario Dejournett, 22, and Tyrik Griffin, 22, waiting for him in the parking lot, according to the sheriff’s office.

Investigators said the two men took out guns and robbed the victim of his jewelry and wallet. All three suspects then took off.

Through investigative efforts, detectives identified all three suspects and obtained arrest warrants. 

Deputies in Pinellas County found and arrested Johnson and Dejournett the next day. Griffin was located about a week later, also in Pinellas County. 

On July 31, 2026, the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office arrested Griffin. He is awaiting transfer to Hillsborough County. 

All three are charged with Robbery With a Firearm ($750 or More But Less Than $20,000).

"This was a coordinated, violent crime that left the victim shaken and robbed at gunpoint," said Sheriff Chad Chronister. "Thanks to the diligent work of our detectives and the assistance of the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, all three suspects have been identified and taken into custody. We remain committed to holding violent offenders accountable and ensuring they face justice."

The investigation remains ongoing, and the Public Affairs Office will provide any updates. 

An Ongoing Pattern

While the Seminole Hard Rock Casino in Tampa is generally considered to be a safe venue, there has been a year's long pattern of patrons being followed and robbed upon leaving the casino.

In February of last year, a victim left the casino after winning about $3700.  A suspect vehicle intentionally struck the victim's car on Hillsborough Avenue. 

When the victim stopped, an armed masked robber approached and stole the casino winnings.

Surveillance reportedly showed a "spotter" following the victim into the parking garage and identifying the victim's vehicle before another car tailed it away from the casino.

One of the most serious cases occurred in August 2024.

A couple won approximately $3,300 on slot machines before leaving the Hard Rock. Investigators say two men watched them gamble for roughly two hours, followed them home to Riverview, then ambushed them in their driveway. Both victims were shot in the legs and robbed of their winnings and other property. Ring doorbell video captured the attack, and two suspects were later arrested.

There was also a 2021 armed carjacking in the casino parking garage in which assailants forced a victim to surrender an Alfa Romeo at gunpoint.

A 2018 armed robbery of the casino's poker room cashier by a gunman who stole about $20,000 before being identified and prosecuted.

Be Vigilant at All Times

Law enforcement generally recommends that casino patrons who win significant amounts:

  • Avoid displaying large cash payouts.
  • Be alert to vehicles that appear to be following them.
  • Consider requesting a casino security escort to their vehicle if available.
  • If they suspect they're being followed, drive to a police station or another well-lit public place rather than going directly home.
  • Report suspicious activity immediately.

  • Jagajeet Chiba, Gambling911.com 

Related Content

Las Vegas Bookmaker Accused of Running a Multi Million Dollar Business Has All Charges Against Him Dismissed

Las Vegas Bookmaker Accused of Running a Multi Million Dollar Business Has All Charges Against Him Dismissed

57-year-old William West Roberts, known as "Wild Bill", claims to have been a handicapper for over 35 years. He reportedly charged customers $249 per month for betting selections.
Sacramento Area Casino Mass Stabbing Suspect Identified, Captured: Five Stabbed

Sacramento Area Casino Mass Stabbing Suspect Identified, Captured: Five Stabbed

Police have identified 22-year-old Joseph Naugle in connection with a Wednesday mass stabbing incident at the Thunder Valley Casino Resort, just north of Sacramento.
PA Bans 11 Individuals From Gambling Including Woman Who Left 1-Year Old in Car for 3 Hours in 80 Degree Heat

Pennsylvania Bans 11 Individuals From Gambling Including Woman Who Left 1-Year Old in Car for 3 Hours in 80 Degree Heat

Another was banned for having 28 counterfeit $50 bills, some of which he used at table games.
Poker Dealer Accused of Sparking San Diego California Wildfire

Poker Dealer Accused of Sparking San Diego California Wildfire

The suspect has a lengthy criminal record and documented mental health issues, according to court records.