Baazov Pulls Plug on Amaya Takeover Attempt

Submitted by C Costigan on

Written by :

C Costigan

Published on :

MONTREAL –(Canadian Press) - David Baazov, the founder and former CEO of Amaya, is walking away from his bid to acquire the Montreal gaming company.

Baazov had proposed buying out other shareholders of Amaya Inc. (AYA.TO 0.05%) for $24 per share.

But he says it became clear during discussions that the share price premium some shareholders wanted exceeded what he and his investors were willing to offer.

"During the discussions [with Amaya's board of directors] it became evident that the share price premium demanded by certain shareholders exceeded the price at which my investors and I would be willing to complete a transaction. After consulting with my advisors, I determined that the best course of action for me and Amaya would be for me to end my attempt to purchase the Company," he said.

As recently as Nov. 25, Baazov said in a U.S. regulatory filing that he had US$3.45 billion in committed financing for a takeover of Amaya, which owns PokerStars and other online casino games.

Baazov, who owns about 17 per cent of Amaya stock, had first indicated his plan to take Amaya private early this year before Quebec's securities regulator laid five charges against him in March, including communicating privileged information.

He has pleaded not guilty to all the charges and the case is currently before the courts.

Related Content

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

Gambling911.com is happy to report that a long standing payout issue involving BetAmapola has now been resolved.
As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declaraçõe

As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declarações de Goodell

O comissário da NFL, Roger Goodell, afirma que é inevitável que, no futuro, a liga tenha uma equipe sediada permanentemente fora dos Estados Unidos.
More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

LuckyStake shut its sweepstakes casino down Aug. 14 with redemptions due by Aug. 20. The Money Factory did so two weeks prior.
Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Senator Bryce E. Reeves introduced a bill to ban sweepstakes casinos in the commonwealth of Virginia earlier this year. It was revealed this week that the bill would be carried into the 2027 legislative period.