Ladbrokes Chief Head on Chopping Block: Shares Plunge 10 Per Cent

Submitted by Aaron Goldstein on

Written by :

Aaron Goldstein

Published on :

Ladbrokes shares fell nearly 10 per cent Thursday amidst news the UK’s second largest bookmaker’s operating profit would come nowhere near that of last year’s numbers.

Forecasts now call for between £10million to £14million this year compared with market forecasts of £27.5million.

Fingers are being pointed at Ladbrokes chief executive Richard Glynn, who assumed his position as Chief Executive last year. 

Glynn said: “Our digital earnings have been disappointing, reflecting a lack of competitiveness in sportsbook, lower margins than planned and a greater disruptive impact than expected from the transition necessary to grow digital for the long term.

“There is only one person accountable and that is me. I am big enough to accept that as chief executive I will be judged on results.”

Ladbrokes outsourced its online development to gaming software firm Playtech, which had previously partnered with Ladbrokes rival William Hill. 

A little due diligence on Ladbrokes part could have gone a long way.

In October 2011, Playtech’s Affiliates United employees locked Hill’s online COO Jim Mullen out of its Tel Aviv office while dozens of employees walked off the job.  That began the slow and agonize breakup of the William Hill-Playtech relationship. 

Ladbrokes chairman Peter Erskine remained optimistic: “The board believes that the (current) strategy is the right one and that the actions taken to date, along with those planned for the coming months, will drive the long-term success of the business.

“We remain fully confident in this management team to deliver them.”

Outside analysts, however, have begun to shun the company.

Canaccord Genuity analyst Simon Davies said the “deeply disappointing update puts considerable pressure on Richard Glynn”.

Shares fell 14¼p to 173¾p.

- Aaron Goldstein, Gambling911.com

Related Content

Bally's Halts Chicago Casino Construction as Company Reports  $792 million in Revenue....$4.5 billion in DEBT?

Bally's Halts Chicago Casino Construction as Company Reports $792 million in Revenue....$4.5 billion in DEBT?

The company reported roughly $265.9 million in negative operating cash flow during the first six months of the year.
Two Six Figure Jackpots in One Day Hit at Thunder Valley Casino Outside of Sacramento

Two Six Figure Jackpots in One Day Hit at Thunder Valley Casino Outside of Sacramento

Two six figure jackpots in one day and multiple jackpots hit over the course of a few weeks at a single Sacramento area casino.... We're talking the Thunder Valley Casino Resort, a mere 30 miles outside California's capital city.
RealPrize, Lone Star Sweepstakes Casinos Exit Delaware Market

RealPrize, Lone Star Sweepstakes Casinos Exit Delaware Market

Customers at RealPrize and LoneStar have until September 22, 2026 to withdraw all funds if they happen to reside in the state of Delaware.
Trial to Move Forward in MGM Grand Las Vegas Ketamine Case

Trial to Move Forward in MGM Grand Las Vegas Ketamine Case

Prominent sports agent Dwight Manley claims he was involuntarily drugged with ketamine while playing blackjack in the high-limit area of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in December 2021.