Atlantic City Casinos Begin Re-Opening, Starting With the Borgata

Submitted by Associated Press on

Written by :

Associated Press

Published on :

TRENTON, N.J. (Associated Press) – Gov. Chris Christie announced Friday that Atlantic City’s 12 casinos can reopen after a nearly five-day shutdown for Superstorm Sandy, but it’s unclear when they will be ready to do so.

Christie announced the order to allow reopening at 10 a.m. Friday and said it was effective immediately. He also allowed roads to the seaside resort, which was subject to a mandatory evacuation, to reopen.

Tropicana Casino and Resort President Tony Rodio, who also heads the Casino Association of New Jersey, said the casinos are working on the logistics of opening.

He also said it’s unclear whether they will need to be inspected before they can welcome customers.

Getting workers in place at the businesses could be a challenge. The city has been shut down since Sunday. And now that it’s reopening, traffic congestion could be a major problem.

The Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa said it planned to open Friday at 4 p.m. The casino was scrambling to arrange to bring employees to the building Friday morning.

Scroll Down For More..

Advertisement:  Play online poker with friends and family via webcam for FREE or REAL MONEY at Camasino.com, operated by the owners of Canada's largest brick and mortar poker room.

Camasino-071812L.jpg

The casinos were closed Sunday as Sandy bore down on New Jersey’s coast. It was only the fourth time in New Jersey’s 34-year history of legal casino gambling that the industry was shut down.

The storm made landfall with hurricane force winds just a few miles from Atlantic City on Monday.

The city was flooded and an old section of its famous boardwalk – the nation’s first – was wrecked in the storm, though other parts of New Jersey’s coast were hit even harder.

Last year, casinos were closed when Tropical Storm Irene hit the coast. That three-day shutdown, which came on a busy summer weekend, cost the city $45 million in lost business.

The only other closures were for Hurricane Gloria in 1985 and a state government shutdown in 2006.

The casinos have been on a losing streak over the last several years during a sour economy and because of increased competition from neighboring states.

Related Content

Bally's Halts Chicago Casino Construction as Company Reports  $792 million in Revenue....$4.5 billion in DEBT?

Bally's Halts Chicago Casino Construction as Company Reports $792 million in Revenue....$4.5 billion in DEBT?

The company reported roughly $265.9 million in negative operating cash flow during the first six months of the year.
Two Six Figure Jackpots in One Day Hit at Thunder Valley Casino Outside of Sacramento

Two Six Figure Jackpots in One Day Hit at Thunder Valley Casino Outside of Sacramento

Two six figure jackpots in one day and multiple jackpots hit over the course of a few weeks at a single Sacramento area casino.... We're talking the Thunder Valley Casino Resort, a mere 30 miles outside California's capital city.
RealPrize, Lone Star Sweepstakes Casinos Exit Delaware Market

RealPrize, Lone Star Sweepstakes Casinos Exit Delaware Market

Customers at RealPrize and LoneStar have until September 22, 2026 to withdraw all funds if they happen to reside in the state of Delaware.
Trial to Move Forward in MGM Grand Las Vegas Ketamine Case

Trial to Move Forward in MGM Grand Las Vegas Ketamine Case

Prominent sports agent Dwight Manley claims he was involuntarily drugged with ketamine while playing blackjack in the high-limit area of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in December 2021.