Atlantic City Evacuated Ahead of Hurricane Sandy

Submitted by Aaron Goldstein on

Written by :

Aaron Goldstein

Published on :

With Hurricane Sandy potentially making a direct hit on the United States second largest gambling destination, mandatory evacuations were ordered for Atlantic City's casinos.

Emergency officials said Sunday afternoon's low tide looked similar to that of a typical high tide.

"We have to play the hand we've been dealt and unfortunately this is a bad hand," Mayor Lorenzo Langford told the Associated Press on Sunday. 

All Atlantic City casinos were shuttered by Sunday afternoon with the storm expected to ravage the coastal city Monday into Tuesday. 

“Reports from meteorologists … are calling for a storm worse than 1962, when the bay met the ocean,” city Office of Emergency Management Director Tom Foley said. “That was 8.5 feet. (Now) we’re talking about close `10 feet above mean low water. That’s a lot of water. We’ve never dealt with that in the city of Atlantic City, and I know it’s going to be close to that.”

Scroll Down For More...

Lock-Poker-091312L.jpg

 

 

Atlantic City knows all too well the negative economic impact Sandy will have as last year’s Hurricane Irene caused casinos to shut down for three days and resulted in a 20 percent hit to casino winnings.  This one could be far worse especially since the surrounding region is expected to be impacted up to several hundred miles, which could result in massive cancelations for weeks to come. 

But there are those with more of an optimistic view.

“Irene was different. That was in the summer, and it was a Friday through Sunday. This is the end of October, starting on a Sunday. It won’t be as impactful from a financial standpoint as long as there isn’t continued disruption after. Hopefully, (Sandy) comes through and, like Irene, isn’t as bad (weather-wise) as it’s supposed to be,” said Rodio, who is President & CEO of Tropicana in an interview with the Press of Atlantic City

- Aaron Goldstein, Gambling911.com

Related Content

Bally's Halts Chicago Casino Construction as Company Reports  $792 million in Revenue....$4.5 billion in DEBT?

Bally's Halts Chicago Casino Construction as Company Reports $792 million in Revenue....$4.5 billion in DEBT?

The company reported roughly $265.9 million in negative operating cash flow during the first six months of the year.
Two Six Figure Jackpots in One Day Hit at Thunder Valley Casino Outside of Sacramento

Two Six Figure Jackpots in One Day Hit at Thunder Valley Casino Outside of Sacramento

Two six figure jackpots in one day and multiple jackpots hit over the course of a few weeks at a single Sacramento area casino.... We're talking the Thunder Valley Casino Resort, a mere 30 miles outside California's capital city.
RealPrize, Lone Star Sweepstakes Casinos Exit Delaware Market

RealPrize, Lone Star Sweepstakes Casinos Exit Delaware Market

Customers at RealPrize and LoneStar have until September 22, 2026 to withdraw all funds if they happen to reside in the state of Delaware.
Trial to Move Forward in MGM Grand Las Vegas Ketamine Case

Trial to Move Forward in MGM Grand Las Vegas Ketamine Case

Prominent sports agent Dwight Manley claims he was involuntarily drugged with ketamine while playing blackjack in the high-limit area of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in December 2021.