Explosive Revelations in Nuke Boss Gambling Probe

Submitted by Jagajeet Chiba on

Written by :

Jagajeet Chiba

Published on :

A vice admiral and the second in command of the US nuke program at the United States Strategic Command outside of Omaha, Nebraska, has been suspended for his alleged role in a counterfeit casino chip probe.

The incident, first reported Saturday, involved poker at the Horseshoe Casino in Council Bluffs, Iowa.  Little additional details have been provided.  The suspension occurred on September 3 but was only made public yesterday (September 28). 

DCI agents stationed at the Horseshoe Casino in Council Bluffs, Iowa, discovered the counterfeit chips, Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation special agent David Dales said Saturday. He would not say when the discovery was made or how much in counterfeit chips was found, only that "it was a significant monetary amount."

The NCIS investigation began in July, according to the command's top spokeswoman, Navy Capt. Pamela Kunze.  The action was only made public Saturday (September 28, 2013).  Few addional details were provided and the investigation is ongoing but Gambling911.com will continue to monitor this story and report the latest information as it comes in.

Air Force Gen. Robert Kehler, who heads Strategic Command, suspended the deputy commander, and has recommended to Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel that Giardina be reassigned

Giardina remains at STRATCOM near Omaha, Nebraska, pending reassignment.  He is prohibited from performing any duties related to nuclear weapons or security issues.

Admiral Giardina is a career submarine officer who assumed his duties at the Strategic Command in December 2011.  He was previously the deputy commander and chief of staff of the Pacific Fleet. 

It was not clear whether Admiral Giardina’s actions compromised national security or the operations of the Strategic Command.

The Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission was expected to commence an investigation of its own at the Horseshoe Casino on Monday, according to Brian Ohorilko. administrator of the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission.
“The priority on Monday, when the staff makes it to the facility, is to try to determine what occurred,” Ohorilko said. “To make sure the facility did everything it was supposed to do."
He added: “The expectation is that the facility has controls and procedures in place for when or if a counterfeit chip were to be used at a facility."

- Jagajeet Chiba, Gambling911.com

Related Content

Sacramento Area Casino Mass Stabbing Suspect Identified, Captured: Five Stabbed

Sacramento Area Casino Mass Stabbing Suspect Identified, Captured: Five Stabbed

Police have identified 22-year-old Joseph Naugle in connection with a Wednesday mass stabbing incident at the Thunder Valley Casino Resort, just north of Sacramento.
PA Bans 11 Individuals From Gambling Including Woman Who Left 1-Year Old in Car for 3 Hours in 80 Degree Heat

Pennsylvania Bans 11 Individuals From Gambling Including Woman Who Left 1-Year Old in Car for 3 Hours in 80 Degree Heat

Another was banned for having 28 counterfeit $50 bills, some of which he used at table games.
Poker Dealer Accused of Sparking San Diego California Wildfire

Poker Dealer Accused of Sparking San Diego California Wildfire

The suspect has a lengthy criminal record and documented mental health issues, according to court records.
Fugitive Sports Betting Influencer Vegas Dave Could Be Extradited From Bora Bora

Fugitive Sports Betting Influencer Vegas Dave Could Be Extradited From Bora Bora

A flashy sports betting influencer — known for his Birkin bag collections and mansions — was slapped with an arrest warrant from Las Vegas judge Joe Hardy Thursday after he no-showed a civil court proceeding, according to court records.