Massive Gambling Bust in Penang

Submitted by Reuters on

Written by :

Reuters

Published on :

GEORGE TOWN - (Bernama) -- Police have busted one of the biggest illegal gambling rings in the state this year with bettings amounting to RM450,000, in Air Itam, early Friday.

A D7 police team from the Northeast district police headquarters raided a 'mini casino' hidden behind a car workshop in Air Itam in an 'Ops Dadu' operation.

The casino was placed in a strategic location suitable to run illegal gambling activities, surrounded by bushes and visitors had to cross a river to reach the place.

Northeast district police chief, ACP Gan Kong Meng said with information from the public, the workshop had been under police surveillance for the last three days.

He said a 10-member police team, led by Inspector Cheok Kian Soon from the Secret Societies, Gambling and Vice division, raided the workshop about 2.30am.

"During the raid, police detained 12 gamblers, including four women aged between 30 and 50 years and seized various chips worth about RM250,000," he said when contacted, in George Town, Friday.

He said the initial investigation revealed that the group had been conducting the illegal activity for a few months now with every bet reaching RM450,000.

"All those arrested will be investigated under Section 7 (2) of the Common Gaming Houses Act, 1953, and face a fine of RM5,000 each or imprisonment for up to six months or both, if convicted," he said.

Meanwhile, burglars broke into a Hindu temple in George Town Thursday night and stole 36 precious stones and some gold valued at more than RM45,000.

A police source said a priest of the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple in Lebuh Queen realised the theft at 7 am Friday when he found that 10 idols at five shrines in the temple damaged and the precious stones as well as gold missing.

"The priest reported the matter to the chairman of the temple committee and inspected the damaged shrines," the source told reporters.

North East District Police chief ACP Gan Kong Meng, when contacted, confirmed the burglary.

He said the latch of the rear gate of the temple had been damaged by force of pulling or pushing.

Related Content

Sacramento Area Casino Mass Stabbing Suspect Identified, Captured: Five Stabbed

Sacramento Area Casino Mass Stabbing Suspect Identified, Captured: Five Stabbed

Police have identified 22-year-old Joseph Naugle in connection with a Wednesday mass stabbing incident at the Thunder Valley Casino Resort, just north of Sacramento.
PA Bans 11 Individuals From Gambling Including Woman Who Left 1-Year Old in Car for 3 Hours in 80 Degree Heat

Pennsylvania Bans 11 Individuals From Gambling Including Woman Who Left 1-Year Old in Car for 3 Hours in 80 Degree Heat

Another was banned for having 28 counterfeit $50 bills, some of which he used at table games.
Poker Dealer Accused of Sparking San Diego California Wildfire

Poker Dealer Accused of Sparking San Diego California Wildfire

The suspect has a lengthy criminal record and documented mental health issues, according to court records.
Fugitive Sports Betting Influencer Vegas Dave Could Be Extradited From Bora Bora

Fugitive Sports Betting Influencer Vegas Dave Could Be Extradited From Bora Bora

A flashy sports betting influencer — known for his Birkin bag collections and mansions — was slapped with an arrest warrant from Las Vegas judge Joe Hardy Thursday after he no-showed a civil court proceeding, according to court records.