Australia Seeks Access to Crown Resorts Exec Held in China: Macau Fears Grow

Submitted by Guest on

Written by :

Guest

Published on :

Australia Consular officials on Tuesday visited two of the Crown Resorts executives being held by Chinese authorities, including Crowns’ VIP International executive vice-president, Jason O’Connor.

“They are in good health. Their wellbeing is looked after,” foreign affairs minister, Julie Bishop, told the Nine Network on Wednesday.

They were hoping to gain access to another of their top executives in the coming days.

18 Crown workers were picked up late last week with no charges filed as of yet.  Chinese officials have only said they are being investigated for various gambling related improprieties.  Charges must be filed within 30 days of detention under Chinese law or else the individuals must be released.

“It might be some time before we know what charges, if any, they are facing,” Bishop said. “In the meantime, our concern is to ensure that they are being appropriately treated.”

Meanwhile, fears over the future of the Chinese gambling enclave of Macau, including Crown, continue to mount.  A number of companies with exposure in Macau have seen their shares plummet since news of the detentions. 

Gambling revenue has just starting to rebound after two years of declines in Macau’s $29 billion gaming market, according to Reuters News. The question is whether that nascent recovery can survive a renewed focus on foreign casino operators that market in China, they write.

“The Crown incident is raising concerns in Macau’s gaming market,” said Ben Lee, managing partner at Asian gaming consultancy IGamiX. “We expect the direct VIP and premium mass market will dive over the next several months.”

- Aaron Goldstein, Gambling911.com

Related Content

Poker Dealer Accused of Sparking San Diego California Wildfire

Poker Dealer Accused of Sparking San Diego California Wildfire

The suspect has a lengthy criminal record and documented mental health issues, according to court records.
Fugitive Sports Betting Influencer Vegas Dave Could Be Extradited From Bora Bora

Fugitive Sports Betting Influencer Vegas Dave Could Be Extradited From Bora Bora

A flashy sports betting influencer — known for his Birkin bag collections and mansions — was slapped with an arrest warrant from Las Vegas judge Joe Hardy Thursday after he no-showed a civil court proceeding, according to court records.
North Carolina Professor Says Purchase of Losing Lottery Tickets on eBay to Offset Gambling Losses 'Clearly Tax Fraud'

North Carolina Professor Says Purchase of Losing Lottery Tickets on eBay to Offset Gambling Losses 'Clearly Tax Fraud'

The scheme actually dates back to the 1980s...and don't think for a second the IRS is unaware of it.