Lam Still on Lam as Philippines President Takes Aim at Casino Tycoon

Submitted by Guest on

Written by :

Guest

Published on :

Lam Still on Lam as Philippines President Takes Aim at Casino Tycoon

MANILA/HONG KONG (REUTERS) - Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the arrest of Jack Lam, one of Asia's top casino kingpins, on charges of economic sabotage and bribery, according to the country's police chief.

Philippine authorities said they have also shut down two properties in the country that are owned by Lam, a Chinese citizen and head of Hong Kong-listed Jimei International .

Lam is not in the Philippines currently, national police chief Ronald Dela Rosa told reporters on Wednesday (Dec 7).

Last month, Philippine immigration authorities detained about 1,200 Chinese men working in call centre-like facilities for running suspected online gambling operations out of Clark Field, a former US air base.

Dela Rosa said in a radio interview on Saturday that an associate of Lam tried to secure their release. He said Duterte then ordered Lam's arrest.

On Wednesday, Dela Rosa said Lam had indicated to the authorities that he was willing to return to the Philippines and assist in any investigations. "The feelers were to me," the police chief said.

Lam's casino operations in the cities of Laoag, which is in northern Luzon, and Clark, just north of Manila, have been shut down, according to local authorities and the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp.

Jimei said in a statement on Tuesday that Lam's gaming operations in the Philippines were personally owned and not part of the group's business. "As at the date of this announcement, so far as the company is aware, Dr Lam has not been held by the Philippine authorities," it said.

Jimei did not respond to requests for comment.

Lam, who used to bring high rollers to Macau's top casinos including Sands China and Wynn Macau, has faded from prominence over the past few years as Beijing's crackdown on corruption has crippled so-called junket operations.

At the same time, Lam's operations in the Philippines have grown, including a rise in Chinese nationals gambling online at his gaming site.

Related Content

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

Gambling911.com is happy to report that a long standing payout issue involving BetAmapola has now been resolved.
As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declaraçõe

As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declarações de Goodell

O comissário da NFL, Roger Goodell, afirma que é inevitável que, no futuro, a liga tenha uma equipe sediada permanentemente fora dos Estados Unidos.
More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

LuckyStake shut its sweepstakes casino down Aug. 14 with redemptions due by Aug. 20. The Money Factory did so two weeks prior.
Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Senator Bryce E. Reeves introduced a bill to ban sweepstakes casinos in the commonwealth of Virginia earlier this year. It was revealed this week that the bill would be carried into the 2027 legislative period.