Las Vegas Sands Japan Casino Could Cost Up to $10 Billion

Submitted by Guest on

Written by :

Guest

Published on :

(Reuters) - A resort hosting casinos in Japan could cost up to $10 billion to build, Las Vegas Sands Corp's (LVS.N) chief said, as the casino operator looks to win operating rights in what is widely expected to become the world's second-biggest casino market.

"It would be at least what we paid in Singapore, $6 billion including the land, but it could be as much as $10 billion," Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Sheldon Adelson said on Tuesday at an investor conference in Tokyo, referring to the Marina Bay Sands property in Singapore.

Japan legalized casinos late last year and is now drafting rules, due by December, on how to regulate the industry and pick operators and locations of so-called "integrated resorts" - large-scale complexes combining casinos, hotels and shopping.

Though estimates of the potential size of the Japanese market vary, brokerage CLSA said just two resorts in major cities could generate a total of $10 billion in annual revenue, growing to $25 billion with more locations.

Major U.S. operators including MGM Resorts International (MGM.N) and Wynn Resorts Ltd (WYNN.O) are also among the runners for the first license, while Galaxy Entertainment Corp Ltd (GALE.BO) and Australia's Melco Crown Entertainment Ltd (MPEL.O) have also expressed interest.

Political sources previously told Reuters that Japan is likely to pick casino operators and locations by 2019, with the first casinos opening by 2023.

(Reporting by Thomas Wilson; Editing by Christopher Cushing)

Related Content

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

Gambling911.com is happy to report that a long standing payout issue involving BetAmapola has now been resolved.
As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declaraçõe

As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declarações de Goodell

O comissário da NFL, Roger Goodell, afirma que é inevitável que, no futuro, a liga tenha uma equipe sediada permanentemente fora dos Estados Unidos.
More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

LuckyStake shut its sweepstakes casino down Aug. 14 with redemptions due by Aug. 20. The Money Factory did so two weeks prior.
Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Senator Bryce E. Reeves introduced a bill to ban sweepstakes casinos in the commonwealth of Virginia earlier this year. It was revealed this week that the bill would be carried into the 2027 legislative period.