Macau Eases Gambling Crackdown Concerns After Casino Shares Plummet

Submitted by Guest on

Written by :

Guest

Published on :

Macau, the world's biggest gambling hub, moved on Friday to clarify it had not tightened daily cash withdrawal limits for Chinese gamblers, after fears of a crackdown on illicit money outflows sent shares in casino operators tumbling.

The South China Morning Post, citing a finance industry source, reported late on Thursday that the Monetary Authority of Macau would halve the amount of cash that China UnionPay cardholders can withdraw from automated teller machines (ATMs) in the territory.

The paper said this would mean halving the daily cap for clients of China's largest provider of bank cards to 5,000 patacas ($626).

The Macau authority, however, said it limited withdrawals to 5,000 patacas per transaction, effective Friday, but had not changed its daily limit.

UnionPay's international arm also said it had not changed its policy on overseas cash withdrawals using cards issued on the mainland, adding the daily limit was still 10,000 yuan ($1,450), with an annual cap of 100,000 yuan.

ATM withdrawals are not a major source of cash for most Chinese gamblers, especially its high rollers. Many average players use UnionPay to buy goods, then return them to get a cash refund which they use to gamble.

But the reported change was seen as a signal of concern, alarming investors in a sector still recovering from a long-running anti-graft campaign under President Xi Jinping.

Monthly revenues from Macau have only returned to growth since August, helped by new resorts bringing in casual gamblers.

Shares of gaming groups including Melco Crown Entertainment (MPEL.O), Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS.N) and Wynn Resorts (WYNN.O) fell by more than a tenth as the crackdown concerns swirled.

MORE SCRUTINY

China is stepping up measures to stem capital outflows, and analysts brushing off Friday's limited action from Macau warned that the broader worry remained.

"The risks of more capital outflow control measures should not be ignored," said Chelsey Tam, analyst at Morningstar, noting this could limit a recovery in gaming revenues next year.

The Chinese State Administration of Foreign Exchange (SAFE) has been vetting transfers abroad worth $5 million or more, and has increased scrutiny of big outbound deals, even those with prior approval.

The yuan skidded to more than eight-year lows late last month, and China's November foreign exchange reserves fell more than expected to $3.05 trillion, the lowest in nearly six years.

In Macau's glitzy Grand Lisboa casino, it was largely business as usual on Friday as gamblers and business owners shrugged off the prospect of the cash withdrawal limits that had spooked investors.

One Macau pawnshop owner, who gave his name as Cheung, said any official crackdown was unlikely to solve the capital outflow problem, as China's illegal channels and shadow banks flourish.

"What's the point of just restricting Macau? Don't you think mainland Chinese will just take their money to the Philippines or Singapore?," he told Reuters.

Related Content

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

Gambling911.com is happy to report that a long standing payout issue involving BetAmapola has now been resolved.
As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declaraçõe

As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declarações de Goodell

O comissário da NFL, Roger Goodell, afirma que é inevitável que, no futuro, a liga tenha uma equipe sediada permanentemente fora dos Estados Unidos.
More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

LuckyStake shut its sweepstakes casino down Aug. 14 with redemptions due by Aug. 20. The Money Factory did so two weeks prior.
Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Senator Bryce E. Reeves introduced a bill to ban sweepstakes casinos in the commonwealth of Virginia earlier this year. It was revealed this week that the bill would be carried into the 2027 legislative period.