Borgata Claims First Internet Gambling Permit

Submitted by Associated Press on

Written by :

Associated Press

Published on :

(Associated Press) - On an otherwise cloudy day in Atlantic City, a bright spot of news: New Jersey's first Internet gambling permit has been issued to the Borgata in Atlantic City.

The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement says the casino was the first to complete the application and must wait until Nov. 21 to actually make use of the permit.

On that date a 5-day trial period begins. If that goes well, state residents and visitors will be able to access Internet gambling on Nov. 26.

Tom Ballance, president of Borgata, says his company is committed to taking the lead as the city's casinos begin to offer Internet gambling.

When the online gambling does become available in late November, New Jersey will join Nevada and Delaware as the only states in the country to allow it. Some casino experts estimate that the resulting revenue could reach billions of dollars per year.

That's welcome news to the struggling shore destination that has watched its gambling revenue sink from a high of $5.2 billion in 2006 to just over $3 billion last year.

For now, the introduction of Internet gambling gives New Jersey casinos an edge over the tables and slots in Pennsylvania, New York and Maryland, which have been stealing their customers.

Related Content

Florida AG Sues Chumba Casino, LuckyLand, Global Poker, Stake Sweepstakes Casinos

Florida AG Sues Chumba Casino, LuckyLand, Global Poker, Stake Sweepstakes Casinos

Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier has filed two lawsuits Wednesday against companies behind major online sweepstakes casinos, including Chumba Casino parent company VGW, which also operates the hugely popular LuckyLand and Global Poker sites.
BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

Gambling911.com is happy to report that a long standing payout issue involving BetAmapola has now been resolved.
More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

LuckyStake shut its sweepstakes casino down Aug. 14 with redemptions due by Aug. 20. The Money Factory did so two weeks prior.
Bally's Halts Chicago Casino Construction as Company Reports  $792 million in Revenue....$4.5 billion in DEBT?

Bally's Halts Chicago Casino Construction as Company Reports $792 million in Revenue....$4.5 billion in DEBT?

The company reported roughly $265.9 million in negative operating cash flow during the first six months of the year.