Famed Vegas Reporter John L. Smith Resigns: Not Allowed to Report on Adelson, Wynn

Submitted by Guest on

Written by :

Guest

Published on :

As predicted by Gambling911.com a few months ago, one of the best reporters covering the Vegas scene has resigned from the Las Vegas Review Journal just months after casino magnate Sheldon Adelson purchased the paper.

Ad: Open an Online Betting Account Today at Gambling911 Endorsed AceSportsbook.  Receive Hundreds of Dollars in Signup Bonuses Here

Smith claims he was not allowed to report on the Vegas billionaire or Steve Wynn.

Both men have been in the news of late.  Wynn is currently embroiled in a dispute with his late wife over control of the company’s share.  Adelson is among the biggest GOP donors.  He, too, was a key figure in a recent lawsuit involving a former employee of his company.

From the New York Times:

The columnist, John L. Smith, said on Tuesday in a letter, several copies of which were distributed in the newsroom, that “recent events have convinced me that I can no longer remain employed at The Las Vegas Review-Journal.” Mr. Smith has been barred from writing about Mr. Adelson and was recently told that he could not write about Steve Wynn, another prominent casino owner, either.

How he lasted this many months is anybody’s guess as Smith filed for bankruptcy in 2007 while defending himself against a libel lawsuit brought by Mr. Adelson.

When it came to Web searches, Smith’s columns were among the most widely regarded from the LVRJ.

- Gilbert Horowitz, Gambling911.com

Related Content

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

Gambling911.com is happy to report that a long standing payout issue involving BetAmapola has now been resolved.
As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declaraçõe

As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declarações de Goodell

O comissário da NFL, Roger Goodell, afirma que é inevitável que, no futuro, a liga tenha uma equipe sediada permanentemente fora dos Estados Unidos.
More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

LuckyStake shut its sweepstakes casino down Aug. 14 with redemptions due by Aug. 20. The Money Factory did so two weeks prior.
Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Senator Bryce E. Reeves introduced a bill to ban sweepstakes casinos in the commonwealth of Virginia earlier this year. It was revealed this week that the bill would be carried into the 2027 legislative period.