Sheldon Adelson’s Sands Corp Faces $2 Million State Fine: Violated Gambling Rules

Submitted by C Costigan on

Written by :

C Costigan

Published on :

LAS VEGAS (Associated Press) - The Las Vegas Sands Corp. faces a $2 million state fine to settle allegations that it didn’t properly account for millions of dollars it paid to a Chinese consultant in a basketball deal and received from a high roller.

Ad: Open an Online Betting Account Today at Gambling911 Endorsed AceSportsbook.  Receive Hundreds of Dollars in Signup Bonuses Here

The Nevada Gaming Control Board announced Wednesday that the casino company faces two counts of violating the state’s gambling regulations. Under a tentative settlement that gambling regulators are set to review on May 19, the company neither admits nor denies the allegations but would pay the fine.

“The company cooperated fully with the Nevada Gaming Control Board and looks forward to a resolution of this matter,” said spokesman Ron Reese of the Sands, which owns The Venetian and Palazzo casinos in Las Vegas and others in Macau and Singapore.

The Nevada complaint points to a federal Securities and Exchange Commission order from April that found the Sands didn’t properly document several major money transfers to Chinese entities over the last decade.

According to the SEC order, the Sands repeatedly transferred money to a consultant to buy a professional Chinese basketball team that would wear the logo of The Venetian Macau casino, but didn’t explain where about $7 million went and falsely categorized some payments to the consultant.

The order also cited problems with a $61 million real estate deal launched around 2006, when the Sands sought to develop a resort on the Chinese island of Hengqin.

The SEC ordered the Sands to pay a civil penalty of $9 million.

The Nevada complaint released Wednesday also says the casino company didn’t properly vet and report a high roller.

Federal authorities said Zhenli Ye Gon played at The Venetian from 2005 to 2007 and was the casino’s “largest all cash up front gambler ever” at the time. A police raid at his Mexico City home in March 2007 turned up about $207 million, according to media reports cited in the complaint.

Federal officials said the Sands didn’t flag Ye Gon’s transactions until April 2007, and even then didn’t disclose that the high roller had lost more than $90 million at The Venetian and had suspicious patterns of transferring money from Mexico.

The company agreed in 2013 to return $47 million to the U.S. Treasury, which represents money it accepted on behalf of Ye Gon.

Related Content

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

Gambling911.com is happy to report that a long standing payout issue involving BetAmapola has now been resolved.
As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declaraçõe

As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declarações de Goodell

O comissário da NFL, Roger Goodell, afirma que é inevitável que, no futuro, a liga tenha uma equipe sediada permanentemente fora dos Estados Unidos.
More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

LuckyStake shut its sweepstakes casino down Aug. 14 with redemptions due by Aug. 20. The Money Factory did so two weeks prior.
Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Senator Bryce E. Reeves introduced a bill to ban sweepstakes casinos in the commonwealth of Virginia earlier this year. It was revealed this week that the bill would be carried into the 2027 legislative period.