Former College Basketball Player Embroiled in Point Shaving Scheme Admits Role

Submitted by C Costigan on

Written by :

C Costigan

Published on :

(Associated Press) - One of the college basketball players banned by the NCAA for participating in sports-betting operations has acknowledged his role in a gambling scheme.

aceperhead6weeks_0.png

Former University of New Orleans guard Dae Dae Hunter said on ABC’s “Good Morning America” that he participated in point-shaving.

“I did go out there and not do my best: basically shooting the ball and not actually trying to make it,” Hunter said on the show, which aired Monday. "I just had a child. The school wasn’t paying me, so I was trying to get money to actually take care of my child.”

Hunter and two New Orleans teammates are among six players who had their eligibility revoked by the NCAA after an investigation. The Committee on Infractions found that Hunter, Dyquavian Short and Jamond Vincent, Arizona State's Chatton “BJ” Freeman and Mississippi Valley State's Donovan Sanders and Alvin Stredic either manipulated their performances to lose games, not cover bet lines or ensure certain prop bets were reached, or provided information that enabled others to do so during the 2024-25 regular season.

The NCAA said in October it was investigating at least 30 current or former players for gambling allegations. The violations at New Orleans against Hunter, Short and Vincent came to light after the organization received a tip about game manipulation.

Asked on “Good Morning America” if he was ever worried about not satisfying what he was asked by an unidentified bettor, Hunter said, “95%, we were going to get the job done.” He said he intentionally misled NCAA investigators.

“I told them I wasn’t doing it," Hunter said. "I told them I didn’t know anything. But the whole time, basically I knew. I knew everything. I was trying to lie because I thought I wouldn’t get my way out of it.”

Related Content

Lake County Sheriff Oscar Martinez Jr

Lake County Indiana Sheriff Scrutiny Grows Over Restaurant Ties to Massive Sports Betting Ring

All 22 defendants charged in a federal gambling and extortion investigation pleaded not guilty during arraignments in Hammond federal court on Thursday.
Gigi Rovito

Burr Ridge Illinois Restaurateur Arrested in Gambling Case Claims in Court Filing He Was 'Man of the Year' at Church He Doesn't Attend

The Chicago church claims he’s never been a ‘serious’ member and that they do not offer such an award.
Michael Campbell

Hammond Indiana Alleged 'Enforcer' in Sports Betting Ring Reportedy Hobnobbed With Elected Officials

Alleged enforcer in Northwestern Indiana sports betting bust appears in photographs with top regional elected officials including a Region police chief and recent sheriff's candidate as well as top labor union officials.
Giuseppe-Manzi

Springfield Massachusetts Mobster Was Among Those Indicted in Northwest Indiana Sports Betting Ring

Springfield, Massachusetts man with alleged ties to the Genovese crime family swept up in last week's indictment against Northwest, Indiana sports betting ring.