2017 WSOP Main Event is 3rd Largest Ever, Biggest Since 2010

Submitted by Guest on

Written by :

Guest

Published on :

2017 WSOP Main Event is 3rd Largest Ever, Biggest Since 2010

In a sign that poker may be coming back in a big way, organizers at this year’s World Series of Poker Main Event have proclaimed it to be the 3rd largest in history.

On Monday, 4,262 players took to the felt for Day 1C, the third and final starting day of this year’s Main Event. That brought the total number of entrants up to 7,221.  It is the largest since 2010. 

The biggest Main Event took place in 2006 prior to regulatory efforts in the US to try and quash Internet poker.  Many US-facing online poker sites closed shop as a result while others stopped offering free satellites to the Main Event. 

“It’s amazing on all fronts, the third-largest Main Event ever,” tournament director Jack Effel said after announcing the prizepool and payouts. Players seem to agree. “It’s such a great tournament, and I’m really happy to see the number so high,” said bracelet winner Eric Baldwin. “It’s a great field, all the characters really show up for this one, and it’s a fun atmosphere.”

When a winner is determined in just under two weeks, the newly crowned champion will earn $8,150,000. All nine players who make the official final table will take home at least $1,000,000, and the top 1,084 players will make the money. The 1,084 players cashing is also a WSOP Main Event record.

- Ace King, Gambling911.com

Related Content

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

Gambling911.com is happy to report that a long standing payout issue involving BetAmapola has now been resolved.
As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declaraçõe

As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declarações de Goodell

O comissário da NFL, Roger Goodell, afirma que é inevitável que, no futuro, a liga tenha uma equipe sediada permanentemente fora dos Estados Unidos.
More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

LuckyStake shut its sweepstakes casino down Aug. 14 with redemptions due by Aug. 20. The Money Factory did so two weeks prior.
Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Senator Bryce E. Reeves introduced a bill to ban sweepstakes casinos in the commonwealth of Virginia earlier this year. It was revealed this week that the bill would be carried into the 2027 legislative period.