Casino Stocks in US and Australia Plummet as Crackdown Continues

Submitted by Guest on

Written by :

Guest

Published on :

Casino Stocks in US and Australia Plummet as Crackdown Continues

Crown Resorts in Australia dropped as much as 8 percent in trading Thursday as a crackdown on gambling continues with a shock move announced heading into the weekend.

The Chinese government says it will begin imposing a 50 percent cut on Unionpay ATM withdrawal limits in within the gambling enclave of Macau.  The cap is set to take affect on Saturday.

Wynn, MGM and Las Vegas Sands Corp all have exposure in Macau and each witnessed declines in their respective share prices.    

China recently arrested several Crown Resort employees including a high ranking executive as it continues to “clean up” the country’s lucrative gambling industry.

Almost a million Chinese tourists visited the former Portuguese enclave in the first seven days of October for Golden Week, the most in at least a decade.

"The controls they have put into place are consistent with the controls they have put into place in the past," MGM Resorts International Chief Executive Officer Jim Murren said in an interview on CNBC. "I don't want to minimise the significance - it will reduce some revenue - but the long-term play is an extremely positive story."

- Aaron Goldstein, Gambling911.com

 

Related Content

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

Gambling911.com is happy to report that a long standing payout issue involving BetAmapola has now been resolved.
As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declaraçõe

As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declarações de Goodell

O comissário da NFL, Roger Goodell, afirma que é inevitável que, no futuro, a liga tenha uma equipe sediada permanentemente fora dos Estados Unidos.
More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

LuckyStake shut its sweepstakes casino down Aug. 14 with redemptions due by Aug. 20. The Money Factory did so two weeks prior.
Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Senator Bryce E. Reeves introduced a bill to ban sweepstakes casinos in the commonwealth of Virginia earlier this year. It was revealed this week that the bill would be carried into the 2027 legislative period.