FBI Probe San Francisco Sheriff’s Deputies for Gambling on Fights Between Inmates

Submitted by Associated Press on

Written by :

Associated Press

Published on :

SAN FRANCISCO  — (Associated Press) - The FBI is investigating allegations that San Francisco sheriff’s deputies arranged and gambled on fights between jail inmates and told the inmates to lie if they needed medical attention.

Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi announced the independent probe Friday, and a representative from the FBI confirmed the investigation in an email to The Associated Press. The department’s internal affairs unit and the U.S. Department of Justice are investigating as well.

The news of the forced fights came to light in late March, when Public Defender Jeff Adachi said four deputies at the County Jail threatened inmates with violence if they did not fight each other.

“I am pleased the feds have granted my request. They can lead an impartial investigation without conflict of interests,” Mirkarimi said. “Call it a pre-emptive strike or call it preventative medicine, but my request to the U.S. Department of Justice underscores my determination to not allow any person or clique to deter or derail our reforms toward greater transparency and accountability in and outside the jails.”

Meanwhile, San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr said he received the report from Adachi and his department will be investigating to see if there is any criminal wrongdoing. District Attorney George Gascón called the allegations deplorable.

The investigation should be concluded in about two weeks, Mirkarimi said.

Also Friday, Mirkarimi announced a $5 million arrest warrant for the capture of inmate Alexander Santiago-Gonzales, who escaped County Jail custody on March 23 while a deputy was escorting him to take out the trash. Santiago-Gonzales had been federally indicted as a narcotics trafficker and was facing lengthy prison time when he fled.

The deputy has been placed on leave, and termination proceedings have started, the sheriff said.

“It appears that previously instituted security protocols were ignored and that directly contributed to the escape,” Mirkarimi said. He did not elaborate.

Now, all inmates, regardless of their classification, are now restricted from outside areas, Mirkarami said.

The sheriff’s department is working with the U.S. Marshals Service to capture Santiago-Gonzalez.

Related Content

Poker Dealer Accused of Sparking San Diego California Wildfire

Poker Dealer Accused of Sparking San Diego California Wildfire

The suspect has a lengthy criminal record and documented mental health issues, according to court records.
Fugitive Sports Betting Influencer Vegas Dave Could Be Extradited From Bora Bora

Fugitive Sports Betting Influencer Vegas Dave Could Be Extradited From Bora Bora

A flashy sports betting influencer — known for his Birkin bag collections and mansions — was slapped with an arrest warrant from Las Vegas judge Joe Hardy Thursday after he no-showed a civil court proceeding, according to court records.
North Carolina Professor Says Purchase of Losing Lottery Tickets on eBay to Offset Gambling Losses 'Clearly Tax Fraud'

North Carolina Professor Says Purchase of Losing Lottery Tickets on eBay to Offset Gambling Losses 'Clearly Tax Fraud'

The scheme actually dates back to the 1980s...and don't think for a second the IRS is unaware of it.