No Deal as Florida Appeals Seminole Tribe Blackjack Ruling

Submitted by Guest on

Written by :

Guest

Published on :

(Associated Press) - TALLAHASSEE — Florida is pushing ahead in its legal tussle with the Seminole Tribe of Florida over the tribe's estimated $2 billion a year gambling operation.

The administration of Gov. Rick Scott on Thursday appealed a decision by a federal judge who ruled the tribe can keep blackjack tables at most of its well-known casinos, including the Hard Rock casinos in Tampa and Hollywood.

The move means the dispute will remain unresolved during a critical time as the Florida Legislature is expected to consider a sweeping overhaul of the state's gambling laws this spring that could also have a big impact on the tribe's operations.

Last November, U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle ruled that regulators working under Scott allowed dog and horse tracks to put in card games that mimicked ones that were supposed to be exclusive to tribe-owned casinos for a five-year period.

As part of his decision, Hinkle ruled the tribe could keep blackjack tables in place for another 14 years.

The motion by the state did not explain the reasons for the appeal. But Barry Richard, an attorney for the Seminoles, said it's not unexpected.

"We were hoping they weren't going to appeal, but we're not surprised," Richard said.

The tribe and the state signed a deal known as a compact in 2010 that permitted the tribe to have blackjack at its casinos as well as slot machines at most of its locations. Florida has collected nearly $1.7 billion from the tribe as a result of the agreement.

But the blackjack provision expired in 2015. Scott and the tribe negotiated a new larger deal that would have also allowed the tribe to offer craps and roulette, but legislators last year rejected it.

One leading Republican state senator has filed a sweeping gambling proposal that would grant those games to the Seminoles, but it would also greatly expand slot machines around the state.

Related Content

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

BetAmapola Dispute Resolved: Player Paid in Full

Gambling911.com is happy to report that a long standing payout issue involving BetAmapola has now been resolved.
As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declaraçõe

As Odds de Apostas Melhoram Para o Brasil Ganhar um Time da NFL Após Declarações de Goodell

O comissário da NFL, Roger Goodell, afirma que é inevitável que, no futuro, a liga tenha uma equipe sediada permanentemente fora dos Estados Unidos.
More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

More Sweepstakes Casino Closures in August: LuckyStake and The Money Factory Shut Down

LuckyStake shut its sweepstakes casino down Aug. 14 with redemptions due by Aug. 20. The Money Factory did so two weeks prior.
Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Virginia Lawmakers Propose Sweepstakes Ban in 2027: Time Not on Their Side

Senator Bryce E. Reeves introduced a bill to ban sweepstakes casinos in the commonwealth of Virginia earlier this year. It was revealed this week that the bill would be carried into the 2027 legislative period.