Caesars Posts $196.7 Million Loss as Atlantic City Gambling Revenue Falls

Submitted by Guest on

Written by :

Guest

Published on :

By Beth Jinks

(Bloomberg) - Caesars Entertainment Corp., the world’s biggest casino company, reported a fourth-quarter loss after cost cuts and the acquisition of a Las Vegas casino failed to offset declines in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

The net loss of $196.7 million compares with a profit of $295.6 million a year earlier, when earnings were boosted by a gain from extinguishing debt early, the Las Vegas-based company, formerly called Harrah’s, said today in a statement. Sales rose 1 percent to $2.12 billion.

Las Vegas casinos are beginning to recover following record declines since Caesars was taken private in a January 2008 buyout. Caesars canceled a planned initial public offering last year, after Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gary Loveman reduced costs, slashed debt and extended maturities in a series of balance sheet restructurings.

Gains from the addition of Planet Hollywood, bought a year ago, were “offset by the continuing impact of the weak economy on customers’ discretionary spending ” Caesars said in the statement. “However, certain markets, including Las Vegas, have shown signs of stabilization and improving operating margins.”

Cash flow, measured as adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, increased 5.1 percent to $439.9 million in the quarter.

Las Vegas cash flow gained 5.2 percent to $183.7 million, boosted by the addition of Planet Hollywood. In Atlantic City, where Harrah’s owns four casinos, Ebitda tumbled 51 percent to $32.9 million.

Caesars canceled its IPO in November, citing “market conditions.” The IPO aimed to raise more than $500 million for expansion, including finishing the Octavius Tower at Caesars Las Vegas, and developing the LINQ retail and entertainment area next to the Flamingo. The company yesterday priced a $400 million loan to fund the projects.

Leon Black’s Apollo Management LP and David Bonderman’s TPG Inc. took Las Vegas-based Caesars private for $30.7 billion, including debt and transaction costs.

Caesars will invest in and run two casinos in Cleveland and Cincinnati, Ohio, being developed by Dan Gilbert, the founder and chairman of Quicken Loans Inc., the venture, Rock Ohio Caesars LLC said in December.

Caesars bought the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino from default a year ago, gaining a Las Vegas Strip property next to its other resorts for less than it would cost to build.

Related Content

Bally's Halts Chicago Casino Construction as Company Reports  $792 million in Revenue....$4.5 billion in DEBT?

Bally's Halts Chicago Casino Construction as Company Reports $792 million in Revenue....$4.5 billion in DEBT?

The company reported roughly $265.9 million in negative operating cash flow during the first six months of the year.
Two Six Figure Jackpots in One Day Hit at Thunder Valley Casino Outside of Sacramento

Two Six Figure Jackpots in One Day Hit at Thunder Valley Casino Outside of Sacramento

Two six figure jackpots in one day and multiple jackpots hit over the course of a few weeks at a single Sacramento area casino.... We're talking the Thunder Valley Casino Resort, a mere 30 miles outside California's capital city.
RealPrize, Lone Star Sweepstakes Casinos Exit Delaware Market

RealPrize, Lone Star Sweepstakes Casinos Exit Delaware Market

Customers at RealPrize and LoneStar have until September 22, 2026 to withdraw all funds if they happen to reside in the state of Delaware.
Trial to Move Forward in MGM Grand Las Vegas Ketamine Case

Trial to Move Forward in MGM Grand Las Vegas Ketamine Case

Prominent sports agent Dwight Manley claims he was involuntarily drugged with ketamine while playing blackjack in the high-limit area of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in December 2021.